Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Giambotta

Many years ago, an Italian lady in my MIL's neighborhood brought a big pot of vegetable stew over, and we enjoyed it tremendously. She called it giambott (or ciambott) and said it meant "everything" or "anything". Just throw into the pot any odds and ends of vegetables that are growing in the garden. I have made this every summer since and think fondly of Rose and thank her for the good eats. She used bacon for flavor and fat, but I make it a meatless meal by starting with olive oil, sauteing garlic and onions, add tomatoes, peppers, zucchini and green beans (depending on the amount of liquid in the veggies, I may add some water) cook it down for a bit, then add potatoes. Salt and pepper to taste. Top it with grated cheese and have a good crusty Italian bread to sop up the juice. Delish! This stew will always mean late summer to me. The bunnies ate all but one of my green bean plants and that one plant has been going all out to take the place of his brothers. I have actually frozen some beans and the bunch I put in the stew was from the pickings today.

And look at this!
An FO. Yeah! The peachy shawl is finished, just needs blocking and a better picture. Well written pattern ( just a minor error in Chart B) with a short row edging that really made a nice finished edge, even though it took quite a while to get through. I had to go into the second ball of yarn while finishing the edge, and boy am I glad I didn't need it in the body of the shawl. The color was much deeper and darker. It would have made a huge contrast! Same color and dye lot, just the nature of hand painted yarns. Diamonds & Pearls by Karen Joan Raz made with Misty Alpaca Hand Paint Lace . The colorway is #18 which is peaches and greys and green.

No comments: