Saturday, February 13, 2010

Painting Weekend

We've got a few days off this week. The kids are on break and we won't have them until Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, so we decided to paint the mud room (the most used and abused room in the house). It hasn't been painted since we put on the addition, so it is way past due.

I am not going to join the Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics. Even though it is way laid back, I still just want to do my own thing. I have 6 blocks finished on my CB, 14 more to go. I would love to get into single digits by the end of the weekend. Although watching the Olympics may not be conducive to my knitting. I was enjoying the opening ceremonies so much, I actually goofed up one of the squares. I had to frog back about 12 rows. Frogging a pattern I have repeated over 60 times. You'd think I be knitting on autopilot by now.

Was it just me, or were the commercials during the opening better than the ones during the Super Bowl? Also, I have seen enough interviews with the same three people to last me the next 16 days, NBC. I am glad I am close enough to the Canadian border to get Canadian broadcast stations. They have better coverage and cover more than just their athletes.
Loved looking at all the knitwear during the parade of nations. Thought the USA had some of the best, though I would like to make a pair of Canadian mittens with the maple leaf on the palm.
The Diamond Yarn blog has a pattern for it that I may just have to make.


Today is a soup and bread day. Dilly bread and Bean and Roasted Garlic Soup. These are both savory recipes. I changed the Dilly Bread (that can be found by following the link) recipe slightly. I use Bison Cottage Cheese with Chives and don't add the minced onion. Really adds a great flavor throughout the bread. I also use half whole wheat flour for more heartiness. I got the soup recipe from my daughter. Yummy.


Bean and Roasted Garlic Soup

2 tbls olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp fennel seed, crushed
4 cups of broth (I use vegetable broth to make it a vegetarian meal)
2 cans beans (cannellini or whatever)
3 sage leaves
1 bay leaf
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 heads of roasted garlic

Saute onions,salt, pepper and fennel until onion is translucent. Add broth, beans, sage and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then simmer 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf, add roasted garlic and puree. Return to pot and add lemon.

No comments: