Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Blizzard

Because we had an impossibly huge and debilitating blizzard in Buffalo in 1977, the weather bureau never uses that term loosely.  So it was a little shocking to hear the term on the weather report last night.  Very cold temps with high winds and snow make a blizzard and we are now in the gripe of one.  
There was lots of warning, schools were open yesterday and the temperatures started going down when everyone was home, including me.  I picked the kids up from school and left the oldest one in charge for an hour until his mother got home and got myself home before the storm hit. 
There was not much more than a few inches of snow on the ground, but when 45 mile an hour wind whips it around, it results in white outs.  Nasty.

It snowed for about six hours today and has just let up a bit.  The snow bands fluctuate so it could be back any time.  Lots of wind and wind chill in the minus 30 degree range.

We have nowhere to go, lots of food and books and knitting to keep occupied.  A friend of mine would always stash a project at the beginning of winter that she saved for a winter storm, which here is usually two or three days long.  It seems that this one will be winding down later tomorrow and by Saturday the forecast calls for rain.  Right now that blows my mind.

I finished one of the fingerless mitts and am working on the second.  I hope to have it done today.  Although I have a book I would like to finish also.
Hard to catch the fury of the storm in my backyard but we couldn't see the shed at times through the snow.

Here is one that captures the feeling we have, Frankie trying to crawl inside the fireplace.  She settled for laying on the rug in front of the fire.

No comments: