Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas Cuteness




This is one of my Christmas presents this year. Isn't it fun! It's the Green Apple Snake figurine by Home Grown. One figure is cuter than the other. I have the Rabbit/Carrot also. even the box is cute!




I finished all 1076 pages of Stephen King's Under the Dome. It took me a week to get through and because we didn't have the kids all last week, I had reading time. I would give it 4 stars out of 5. Of course it was too long. He must get paid by the word and his editors are too much in awe of him to cut it down. I stopped reading King after Needful Things (just a horrible book , as I recall). I gave him another go with his newest books, Lisey's Story and Duma Key , both of which I really enjoyed.
In Under the Dome, King does what he does best, explores the characters (and there are many, many of them) and their actions and reactions to great stress in unbelievable situations. The ending and reason for the Dome was a little too much like a Twilight Zone episode for it to rank in the best of the best, but still not a bad way to spend a few days.
(Edited to add: I loved the shout outs he gave to:
Nora Roberts (I've been reading Nora since her first book Irish Thouroughbred. She got me through the kiddie years and nothing beats the In Death series
Jack Reacher. My number one favorite hero
Lost, the best television series ever.)
A bit more snow yesterday. We have about two feet on the ground and temps in the single digits. The roads are cleared so the kids had school yesterday. Nathan has a good 5 or 6 block walk to middle school and he was a sight to see as he walked home with his friends. He was covered with snow from his head to his feet. He looked like he had a great time, snowball fighting and just rolling in the snow mountains. Of course he was dressed well for the weather, snowsuit, wool hat and scarf (from Nana) and thick gloves. He did look a little like Randy in A Christmas Story.

No comments: