Saturday, January 2, 2010

Oldies but Goodies




I did a lot of knitting for my girls when they were little and medium sized. The sweaters were loved to death and passed from one to the other. When the sweaters had gone through the three of them and if they were still in good enough shape, I put them in a storage box with cedar chips and they went in the basement. A few years ago I went through the two boxes and took out anything that was good enough to pass on to the next generation.



This cream colored sweater is a Penny Straker design that I made for DD#3 when she was 3 or 4. It was her favorite. It was worn by her constantly, had every conceivable food stuff spilled on it, and was worn until it just didn't fit anymore. It has been passed from granddaughter #1 to granddaughter #2 and still shows no sign of age. I have no idea what yarn it is made out of, but it washes beautifully in the washer and dryer. It is soft and still looks lovely. Remember, it is over 30 years old! (Unfortunately this pattern isn't available on the Penny Straker site at this time.)


This zippered cardigan was made for DD#2 and was passed down to her little sister and is now being worn by the third granddaughter. This was from McCall's Knit It for Children book published in 1979. (Notice the collar change?) Again, I don't know what the yarn is but it has held up amazingly well for the past 30 or so years. These are probably a wool/acrylic blend but both are soft and very wearable. Not what you think of when remembering 1980's yarn, is it? It needed a new zipper and there are a few spots I want to reinforce on the neckband. Hope the yarn I pick will hold up half as well as the original.

No comments: